The following is a list of outstanding Indonesian chess players who have the title Grandmaster. Anyone?
When talking about chess, we are not only discussing the activity of moving the dipper by 2 people. However, chess matches are known as the art of high-level strategy and logical thinking.
Those who are known to be skilled at playing chess will be competed closely to the international level.
After that, those who make it into the ELO chess rankings of at least 2500 and win the World Junior Championship will receive the title of 'Grandmaster' (GM) from the international chess organization, Federation Internationale des Eches (FIDE).
In Indonesia alone, it turns out that there are quite a lot of chess players who have succeeded and been able to win the Grandmaster title. Who are they? Here's more info!
1. Herman SuradiradjaThe first Indonesian chess player in history to win the Grandmaster title was Herman Suradiradja.
Born in Sukabumi, October 14, 1947, GM Herman studied chess and obtained all the requirements for a GM degree in Bulgaria.
Until the end of his life in 2016, GM Herman was still quite active in playing chess, even though his performance had decreased due to his health condition.
2. Haji ArdiansyahChess fans must be familiar with the name GM Haji Ardiansyah. Born in Banjarmasin, December 5, 1951, GM Abah has represented Indonesia several times in the Chess Olympiad.
One of the most proud, he managed to beat the world's top chess player, namely GM Viswanathan from India at the 1986 Dubai Olympics.
GM Abah himself received the GM title at the Chess Olympiad in Lucerne, Switzerland in 1982. Until the end of his life in 2017, GM Abah had won the highest ELO rating in July 2000, namely 2421.
3. Utut Adianto WahyuwidayatBorn in Jakarta, March 16, 1962, Utut Adianto has won the GM title at a young age, namely 21 years. Just like we watched The Queen's Gambit (2020)!
In fact, he was once a super grandmaster from 1995 to 1999. At that time, his ELO rating exceeded 2600. Really great, right?
Now, apart from establishing the Utut Adianto Chess School (SCUA) and becoming a politician, he is trusted to be the General Chair of the Indonesian Chess Association (Percasi).
4. Edhi HandokoGM Edhi is an Indonesian chess player born in Solo on August 28, 1960. Previously, he won the National Grandmaster title in 1978.
At its peak, he won the international Grandmaster title in 1994 with a total ELO rating reaching 2495.
He is also known to have won many trophies and medals for Indonesia. After retiring, he turned into a coach for young Indonesian chess players.
5. Smart BarusBorn in Karo, January 1, 1961, GM Cerdas Barus actually got to know chess when he first played Satur Karo, a traditional Karo game that is similar to conventional chess.
After that, he began to regularly participate in chess matches both at home and abroad. The climax was when he obtained the title of National Grandmaster in Bandung in 1982.
He has never been absent from participating in various chess matches until his retirement in 2002.
6. Novendra PriasmoroUtut Adianto Chess School has produced tens to hundreds of outstanding chess players. One of them is Novendra Priasmoro.
Born in Jakarta, November 24, 1999, Novendra won the Grandmaster title with an ELO rating of 2504 when he won the Liberic Open 2020 in Czech.
In addition, he is also famous for winning various chess matches, starting from 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, to 2017 consecutively!
7. Irene KharismaWho is not familiar with Irene Kharisma? This young chess player has won the title of Grandmaster International Women (GMIW) since December 2008.
GM Irene herself is also an alumni of the Utut Adianto Chess School, where she was introduced to chess when she was 8 years old by her father.
That was a list of the best Indonesian chess players who have the title 'grandmaster'. Want to try to challenge them to play?